Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mirror

What if you could meet yourself,
What do you think you'd say?
Would you approve of what you say and do,
or see things another way?

One day I was walking down the street,
and I saw a man I thought I knew.
People laughed and whispered as he went,
and most of what they said rang true.

Suddenly I stopped and turned,
to see where he might go.
I followed him for blocks and blocks,
to where I did not know.

Finally he came upon a broken life,
of pain and wasted years.
I watched as opportunity passed him by,
while he was paralyzed by fear.

I went to try and help him up,
with all the promise of the world.
He struggled against my gentle hand,
screaming hysterically about a girl.

I explained it was not what he lost,
that made him feel this way.
It was that which he had never found,
that made his world so grey.

When I told him of tomorrow,
and a life he could not dream.
He told me of his filthy day,
seemingly impossible to clean.

I introduced myself as me,
and where I could be found.
I stole one more familiar glance,
before I left him upon the ground.

One day I got a call from him,
suprised to find that he was I.
We met together at the truth,
now we soar throughout the sky.

2 comments:

  1. this is actually the best thing i've read in a while, by any author. i've reread it like 4 times already and it keeps getting more complex. awesome.

    ReplyDelete